Peaches, plums, nectarines, etc are at least as rich in anticancer elements, such as polyphenols (specially anthocyanidins), as small berries. These polyphenols induce apoptosis (suicide) in cancer cells, stimulate the immune system and inhibit the toxic effects induced by benzopyrenes by helping the body to expel carcinogenic toxins.
Stone fruit has also shown their efficacy against cancer cells of breast liver and colon, and it also lowers the level of cholesterol.
- Dr David Servan-Schreiber, 2007. “Anti cancer – a new way of life”. ISBN 978-0-718-15684-8
- Fernández Martínez, Odile; 2013. Mis recetas anticáncer – Alimentación y vida anticancer. ISBAN 978-84-7953-437-0
- Yu MH, et al. Induction of apoptosis by immature fruits of Prunus salicinaLindl. cv. Soldam in MDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cells. Int] Food Sci Nutr. 2007 Feb;58(1):42-53.
- Lee SH, et a1. Immunostimulatory effects of oriental plum (Prunus salicma‘ Lindl.). Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2009 Sep;32(5)1407-17.
- Kim H], Yu MH, Lee 15. Inhibitory effects of methanol extract of plum (Prunus- salicina L, cv. “Soldam”) fruits against benzo(a1pha)pyrene-induced toxicity in mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2008 Nov;46(ll):3407-11.
- Noratto G, Porter ,W Byrne D, Cisneros-Zevallos L. Identifying peach and plum polyphenols with chemopreventive potential against estrogen-independent breast cancer cells. J Agn’c Food Chem. 2009 Jun 24,‘57(12)15219-26.
- Yu MH, et al. Effect of immature plum on PMA-induced MMP-9 expression in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Nat Prod Res. 2009;23(8):704-18.
- Lea MA, et al. Inhibition of growth and induction of differentiation of colon cancer cells by peach and plum phenolic compounds. Anticancer Res. 2008 Jul- Aug; 28(4B):2067-76.