Onions are rich in vitamins B and C, and minerals. They contain enzymes which help to eliminate the toxins and free radicals, and maintaining the bowel flora in balance. Their glucoquinin helps to lower the sugar level in our blood. In addition, they contribute to the well functioning of our immune system due to their anti-inflammatory properties.
They are the richest natural source of quercetin, a bioflavonoid which is shown to be active against cancer cells. They not only make the cancer cells more sensitive to chemotherapy, but they also prevent the tumour cells from growing and spreading, as they ease their apoptosis (natural death).
They also help to regulate our cholesterol level and preventing cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis and ageing.
Interestingly, these qualities are boost by crucifers, such as broccoli. They are consumed best raw, as part of these properties are lost when cooked.
- Murakami A1 et al, 2008, Multitargeted cancer prevention by quercetin. Cancer Lett. 2008 Oct 8;269(2):315-25. doi: 10.1016/j.canlet.2008.03.046. Epub 2008 May 7.
- Nessa MU et al, 2011, Synergism from combinations of cisplatin and oxaliplatin with quercetin and thymoquinone in human ovarian tumour models. Anticancer Res. 2011 Nov;31(11):3789-97.
- Chen C et al, 2010. Quercetin: a potential drug to reverse multidrug resistance. Life Sci. 2010 Sep 11;87(11-12):333-8. doi: 10.1016/j.lfs.2010.07.004. Epub 2010 Jul 15.
- Wong MY et al, 2011. Liposome formulation of co-encapsulated vincristine and quercetin enhanced antitumor activity in a trastuzumab-insensitive breast tumor xenograft model. Nanomedicine. 2011 Dec;7(6):834-40. doi: 10.1016/j.nano.2011.02.001. Epub 2011 Mar 1.
- Khonkarn R et al, 2011, PEG-OCL micelles for quercetin solubilization and inhibition of cancer cell growth. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2011 Oct;79(2):268-75. doi: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2011.04.011. Epub 2011 May 10.
- Mertens-Talcott SU et al, 2005. Ellagic acid and quercetin interact synergistically with resveratrol in the induction of apoptosis and cause transient cell cycle arrest in human leukemia cells. Cancer Lett. 2005 Feb 10;218(2):141-51.
- Wang P et al, 2012. Effects of quercetin on the apoptosis of the human gastric carcinoma cells. Toxicol In Vitro. 2012 Mar;26(2):221-8. doi: 10.1016/j.tiv.2011.11.015. Epub 2011 Dec 24.
- Russo M et al, 2012. The flavonoid quercetin in disease prevention and therapy: facts and fancies. Biochem Pharmacol. 2012 Jan 1;83(1):6-15. doi: 10.1016/j.bcp.2011.08.010. Epub 2011 Aug 16.
- Boots AW et al, 2008. Health effects of quercetin: from antioxidant to nutraceutical. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008 May 13;585(2-3):325-37. doi: 10.1016/j.ejphar.2008.03.008. Epub 2008 Mar 18.
- Zhou W et al, 2010. Dietary polyphenol quercetin targets pancreatic cancer stem cells. Int J Oncol. 2010 Sep;37(3):551-61.